Our Mission & Purpose
“To advance the understanding, appreciation and knowledge of the ocean and to encourage the protection and preservation of the marine environment”
- To advance the knowledge and understanding of the ocean, from the surface to the deep-ocean floor, especially as it relates to underwater research;
- To encourage the protection and preservation of the marine environment and all that is beneath the ocean;
- To preserve and display for the public, artefacts, documents and other goods and materials relating to the ocean and the underwater marine environment;
- To promote, principally through exhibitions, and otherwise encourage historical and scientific research related to the ocean around Bermuda;
- To educate the public of all ages, using the latest sophisticated multimedia techniques, concerning the wonders of the ocean;
- To foster close cooperation among similar institutions, both locally and overseas, in order to advance the understanding, appreciation and knowledge of all that exists beneath the ocean.